Young Physician Leaders
Effective healthcare institutions need effective leaders. Still, many young professionals have to learn their leadership skills almost by trial and error as too few countries are actually providing the necessary training.
The 8th IAP for Health Young Physician Leaders (YPL) Programme helps building capacity in this area. It will be held on 12-16 October 2018 in conjunction with the 10th World Health Summit in Berlin.
This year’s programme is articulated in three parts:
- A specific leadership development programme with a focus on analysing models of leadership with the aim of developing an individual action plan for personal leadership growth.
- A visit sponsored by the Bayer Science and Education Foundation to health research laboratories in the Berlin area.
- Participation by the awardees in the events of the World Health Summit, a forum within which the YPL will be exposed to an outstanding scientific and policy programme attended by a global group of medical and scientific professionals.
This IAP for Health programme will once more have the collaboration of the European School of Management and Technology (ESMT) with the support of the Tides Foundation, the Charité, Universitätsmedizin Berlin and the Bayer Science & Education Foundation.
It offers a unique learning and networking opportunity for up to 20 outstanding Young Physician Leaders under the age of 40 who:
- are pursuing careers in medical education, clinical leadership, public health, health policy and health services management
- show great promise for leadership in their chosen careers
- are enthusiastic personalities able to represent the medical profession e.g. when interacting with senior professionals
In 2018, the World Health Summit will place up to five candidates to participate in this unique network. These candidates will have to cover a small tuition fee
Deadline for nominations is July 15, 2018.
The Young Physician Leaders initiative aims to convene a group of diverse specialties and origin. Women are especially encouraged to apply.
To date, 131 YPL have been trained. Their details can be found in the dedicated YPL Directory
The IAP for Health initiative Young Physician Leaders is organized in partnership with the World Health Summit and the M8 Alliance of Academic Health Centers, Universities and National Academies. It is supported by the Tides Foundation, the Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin and the Bayer Science & Education Foundation. As of 2016, it also fosters a collaboration with the European School of Management and Technology (ESMT).