Monash University is Australia's largest university with approximately 60,000 students from over 170 countries.
Named after engineer, military leader and public administrator Sir John Monash, Monash University was established by an Act of Parliament in 1958. It was the first university established in the state of Victoria in over 100 years.
The early vision was to create a research-focused tertiary institution with an emphasis on science and technology. The focus on research excellence remained; still the growth from technology/science specialists to general university was rapid. It was accelerated by a merger with Chisholm Institute in 1990, which saw the Caulfield and Peninsula campuses become a part of the University.
A year later the Victorian College of Pharmacy entered into a partnership with Monash that brought Parkville into the portfolio of campuses.
Outstanding persons include:
Monash graduates who are currently leaders in their fields include:
- Boediono, Vice President of Indonesia
- Peter Costello, longest-serving Treasurer of Australia
- Simon Crean, former Australian Leader of the Opposition
- David de Kretser, former Governor of Victoria
- Robert Doyle, Lord Mayor of Melbourne
- Ian MacFarlane, Governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia (1996–2006)
- Marlene Moses, United Nations Ambassador for Nauru
- Bill Shorten, Australian Leader of the Opposition
- Marilyn Warren, Chief Justice of Victoria
- Lim Guan Eng, Chief Minister of the State of Penang, Malaysia
Prominent current staff members at Monash include:
- John Brumby, former Premier of Victoria
- Raymond Finkelstein, former Justice of the Federal Court of Australia
- George Hampel, former Justice of the Supreme Court of Victoria
- John Thwaites, former Deputy Premier of Victoria and Minister for the Environment
- Christopher Weeramantry, former Vice-President of the International Court of Justice
The university has seven campuses, five of which are in Victoria, one in Malaysia, and one in South Africa. In Victoria are:
A research and teaching center is located in Prato, Italy, a graduate research school in Mumbai, India, and a graduate school in Jiangsu Province, China.
Focus / Key Aspects:
Monash is divided into 10 faculties. These incorporate the University's major departments of teaching and research centers.The faculties are:
- Faculty of Art & Design
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Business and Economics
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Information Technology
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
- Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Faculty of Science
- Monash IVF
- Monash Institute of Medical Research (MIMR)
- Calzada (formerly called Metabolic)
- Relevare Pharmaceuticals
Monash Universities fosters cooperations with universities in:
- Hong Kong
- The Netherlands
- United Kingdom
Details are available online at monash.edu
- Ancora Imparo student leadership program
- Monash Minds
- Access Monash Ambassadors
- John Bertrand leadership program
- Monash orientation for higher objectives (MOHO)
- Various Faculty Student Leadership Programs
- Group of Eight
- Monash College
Ancorā impāro - "I am still learning"
Miss Universe Australia 2013, Olivia Wells, is a first year MBBS student at Monash University.