P.O. Box 7062,
Established in 1922 as a humble technical school, Makerere University is one of the oldest and most prestigious Universities in Africa. In January of that year, the school, which was later renamed Uganda Technical College, opened its doors to 14 day students who began studying Carpentry, Building and Mechanics.
The College soon began offering various other courses in Medical Care, Agriculture, Veterinary Sciences and Teacher Training. It expanded over the years to become a Center for Higher Education in East Africa in 1935. In 1937, the College started developing into an institution of higher education, offering post-school certificate courses.
In 1949, it became a University College affiliated to the University College of London, offering courses leading to the general degrees of its then mother institution.
With the establishment of the University of East Africa in June 29, 1963, the special relationship with the University of London came to a close and degrees of the University of East Africa were instituted.
On July 1, 1970, Makerere became an independent national university of the Republic of Uganda, offering undergraduate and postgraduate courses leading to its own awards. Makerere University offers not only day but also evening and external study programs to a student body of about 35,000 undergraduates and 3,000 postgraduates (both Ugandan and foreign). It is also a very active center for research.
The University transitioned from the Faculty-based to the collegiate system on July 01, 2011, and as of Friday December 30, 2011, Makerere University officially transformed into a Collegiate University with 10 Constituent Colleges operating as semi-autonomous units of the University.
Outstanding Alumni and Faculty Members include:
- Godfrey Binaisa, former President of Uganda
- Professor Gilbert Bukenya Balibaseka, Former Vice-President of Uganda
- Sam Kutesa, President of the UN General Assembly and Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Uganda
- Olara Otunnu, Former Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Children and Armed Conflict
- Julius Nyerere, Tanzanian politician and the first President of Tanzania
- Kanyama Chiume, Malawian activist for independence of Nyasaland (now Malawi)
- Daphrosa Gahakwa, Rwandan Education Minister
- Joseph Kabila, Congolese politician and President of the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Specioza Kazibwe, former Vice President of the Republic of Uganda
- Mwai Kibaki, Kenyan Politician and President of Kenya
- Charles Kikonyogo, former Governor, Bank of Botswana, and former Governor, Bank of Uganda
- Samson Kisekka, former Vice President of Uganda
- Benedicto Kiwanuka, first Prime Minister and first Chief Justice of Uganda
- Yusuf Lule, former President of Uganda
- Benjamin Mkapa, Tanzanian politician and former President of Tanzania
- Ssentongo J.B.M., former Vice Chairman DP-USA and First Chief Ambassador, Ugandan North American Association
- Apolo Nsibambi, former Prime Minister of Uganda and former Chancellor of Makerere University
- Oginga Odinga, Kenyan Politician and first Vice President of Kenya
- Milton Obote, two-time former President of Uganda
- Samuel Awich (1973), Justice of the Supreme Court of Belize
- Moses Ebuk, physician, neurophyiologist, Ambassador of Uganda to the Russian Federation
At the undergraduate level Makerere University has 97 programmes which include 13 Diploma and 84 Bachelor programmes. The University also offers over 142 Postgraduate Programmes which include 19 Postgraduate Diplomas and 123 Masters Degree programmes. All academic units have provision for offering Doctoral Degrees either by research only or by course work and dissertation.
- College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
- College of Business and Management Sciences
- College of Computing and Information Sciences
- College of Education and External Studies
- College of Engineering, Design, Art and Technology
- College of Health Sciences
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- College of Natural Sciences
- College of Veterinary Medicine, Animal resources and BioSecurity
- School of Law
Makerere University partners with reputable International Universities worldwide through established agreements. These Agreements include Memoranda of Understanding, Research Contracts, among others in the areas of teaching, learning, collaborative research, joint degree awards, franchising of programs as well as Staff and Student exchanges.
The following are institutions affiliated to Makerere University and offer awards of Makerere University
- National Major Seminary, Kinyamasika
- National Major Seminary Ggaba
- National Major Seminary Katigondo
- National Major Seminary Alokolum
- Makerere University Business School (MUBS)
- Mulago Paramedical School
- Mbale School of Hygiene
- Mbale School of Clinical Officers
- School of Clinical Officers, Fort Portal
- Masaka School of Comprehensive Nursing
- Soroti School of Comprehensive Nursing
- Jinja Ophthalmic Clinical Officers Training School
- School of Pychiatric Cinical Officers, Butabika
- Health Tutors College, Mulago
We build for the future